Bookmark, rate or modify this place ? Login →
In 1613 was inaugurated by Marie de' Medici a huge covent for the Dominican Order, known as the "Jacobins". During the French Revolution, the covent was closed and occupied by the Club des Jacobins, led by Robespierre.
The covent is eventually demolished in 1807 and in 1810 the first market was established. In 1946, the place was renamed "Place Robespierre", only to get back to its original name 4 years later.
In the 1990's, catalan architect Ricardo Bofill was in charge of redesigning the square. And in 1997 was build a light-glass building, bearing the tradition of the XIXth century covered passageways with their bordering shops. The passageway is named Passage des Jacobins.
In 2003, a new market was born, with bakeries, caterers, fruits and vegetables, clothes and jewellery shops.
Source : translated from Wikipedia contributors, "Place du Marché-Saint-Honoré"