In context : To the Grands Boulevards and beyond
We begin West of Saint-Lazare train station, North of the Place de la Madeleine (from there, just take Malesherbes boulevard). Subway line 9 is close by (Saint-Augustin station).
Architect Victor Baltard (who built Les Halles in Paris), was asked by Napoléon III to work on this eclectic church, mixing roman and byzantine styles, between 1860 et 1871.
Almost 100 metres in length, with a dome height of more than 60 metres, it was constructed about a metal frame. Its unusual layout (a narrow facade, a very large choir) and this metal structure is what makes the church different.
Located at the corner of traffic-heavy Haussmann and Malesherbes boulevards, it unfortunately doesn't provide as much silence as it should.